Need Help Paying for Child Care?

Child Care Assistance Brochure (Comm 62)

Child Care Assistance Brochure (in Spanish) (Comm 62/S)

What's Available?
Child Care Assistance (CCA) is available to the children of income-eligible parents who are absent for a portion of the day due to employment or participation in academic or vocational training or PROMISE JOBS activities.  Assistance may also be available for a limited period of time to the children of a parent looking for employment or when the parent who normally cares for the child is unable to do so due to hospitalization, or outpatient treatment for physical or mental illness.

Child care services are provided to people participating in activities approved under the PROMISE JOBS program and people who receive Family Investment Program (FIP) assistance without regard to Child Care Assistance eligibility requirements if there is a need for child care services.  PROMISE JOBS staff administer Child Care Assistance for child care needed to participate in PROMISE JOBS activities.

Child care services for a child with protective needs are provided without regard to income.  To receive protective child care services, the family must meet specific requirements, and child care must be identified in the child's case permanency plan as a necessary service.

Who Can Get Help?

You may get help from the Child Care Assistance program if you:

  • Have a child who needs care who is under the age of 13 (or under the age of 19 if the child has special needs).
  • Are a member of a Family Investment Program (FIP) participant household.

If you're not a Family Investment Program participant, you may qualify for the CCA program if you:

  • Have a child who needs care who is under the age of 13 (or under the age of 19 if the child has special needs) and have income under the program's limits and work an average of 28 hours per week; or
  • Attend an approvable training or education program full-time; or
  • Are looking for work; or
  • Are unable to provide care because of an approved medical reason.
How do I apply?

To get most of our services, you must fill out an application form.

If you have access to a printer, you can print an application from this website (see links below).  Complete the application by hand then return it to the DHS office serving the county where you live.

You can also get an application form from any county Department of Human Services (DHS) office. Click on County DHS Office Locations to find the location of the county DHS office nearest you.

Links to Program Applications

English Child Care Assistance Child Care Assistance Application
Espanol Child Care Assistance Solicitud Para Child Care Assistance

Who Can Care for My Child?

You may chose a child care provider from a variety of arrangements.  You can choose:
  • A licensed child care center,
  • A registered child development home,
  • A nonregistered child care home,
  • Someone who cares for your children in your own home,
  • A before-and-after-school program, or
  • A child care program operated by or under contract to an accredited public or nonpublic school.

What Must My Child Care Provider Do?

Your provider must be approved by DHS in order to receive payment from the CCA program.  Many providers are already approved by DHS to provide care for the CCA program.  If you do not know whether your provider is approved, ask your DHS CCA worker for assistance.  If your provider is not yet approved, DHS will provide you with the necessary forms to take to your child care provider.

What if I Have Questions?

Contact the Centralized Child Care Assistance Eligibility Unit (CCA) at 866-448-4605 for questions about child care. The CCA determines initial and ongoing eligibility for Child Care Assistance. Their work includes processing new applications, reviews, and changes reported by families receiving Child Care assistance. The Unit also processes child care payments for providers and handles all provider applications, renewals, and changes reported by providers.

Images of people and children